Thursday, October 30, 2008

Changing the Noscript keyboard shortcut

I recently started using the Noscript extension for Firefox in an effort to improve browsing security. One issue I noticed is that the 'Show/hide styles' keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+S) used by the Web Developer toolbar no longer works as the same shortcut is used to display the Noscript menu.

I already use an extension called Keyconfig which lets you edit most of your Firefox keyboard shortcuts (including those used by extensions) but for some reason the Noscript shortcuts don't appear in the Keyconfig list.

There is an easy fix though. Simply open extensions\{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}\defaults\preferences\noscript.js (in your Firefox profile folder) and edit the line pref("noscript.keys.ui", "ctrl shift S"); to whatever key combination you want to use instead. I've changed mine to Ctrl+Shift+N (N for Noscript obviously, and it's not currently used by anything else).

1 comment:

ArcSet said...

Hi Matt,

I know this is unlikely to be responded to at this date, but just for the benefit of users dropping into your post from google (like me); I just thought I'd point out that while you can edit shortcuts manually noscript lets you re-map commands through about:config and there are instructions in the sites faq's. Thanks for posting your solution though, people supporting other is one of the best uses of the internet.

I just thought I'd mention this as config might be less intimidating for users un-used to this kind of editing, due to the fact that it can filter parameters and reset them to default.