Friday, October 17, 2008

Network hard drive

While Dropbox is a nice simple solution for syncing files over the internet, I'm not sure it's really what I need. The biggest requirement I have is for files to be accessible from both our home computers. The need to access files over the internet is fairly minimal really.

So on this basis I'm now thinking that a network hard drive is the answer. In the price bracket I'm looking at (as cheap as possible really!), Freecom do a nice one which seems to be rated pretty highly. Apart from the operating systems and software, everything else - photos, music, documents, etc. could be stored on here and then simply accessed from either computer. And you can also configure it for internet access which would make Dropbox redundant anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Depending on what you want to do, the point of services like Dropbox and JungleDisk isn't necessarily to make your files accessible over the internet or network. They're more likely to be used to back up important files you don't want to lose in case of a disk failure, or, God forbid, theft or fire. Otherwise, why not just share a folder on one of your computers?

Both those solutions are backed by Amazon S3, which has such a level of redundancy that a whole country could sink and you could still access your cherished photos and documents.

I couldn't sleep at night solely relying on primitive spinning pieces of metal inside my computer to look after my photos.

My Mac mirrors itself every six hours to an attached external disk, and then important files every 12 hours up to Amazon S3 via JungleDisk.

Anonymous said...

Just found the article that made me seriously consider it a couple of years back before I switched... Since this was written, Amazon's prices have dropped even further I think :)

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/007624.html