Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A close call

I just went to switch on my desktop PC earlier this evening and was confronted with a nasty surprise - all my programs were crashing about 30 seconds - 1 minute after launching. I restarted several times but the same thing kept happening.

My first thought was 'virus' and a quick Google search (on the laptop) seemed to confirm my suspicions.

However, when I called my brother - the tech guru! - for advice, he thought it might be the memory and suggested I simply remove the memory modules and replace them again and see if that fixed it.

Which, I'm relieved to say, did fix it! Phew! I really didn't want to have to face a Christmas sorting out an infected hard drive!

But it does prove that sometimes the good old "give it a kick / drop it" technique for fixing things works for even the most advanced of modern technology!!

No comments: