Saturday, December 27, 2008

Goodbye Posterous - it was nice knowing you but I've just discovered Twitterfeed!

New technology is a fickle and ever changing thing...

Posterous seemed like a great idea until about half an hour ago. Blogging via email is nice (but Blogger does it already so no brownie points there). But having it auto-post to Twitter each time I posted a new blog entry was what won me over.

But then I came across a problem. I wanted to set up a new Twitter account, specifically related to my railway-related interests. And I wanted to set up a new blog on Posterous to mirror my existing 'Line to Nowhere' blog on Blogger. And I wanted to have Posterous autopost to my new Twitter account and my railway blog on Blogger each time I posted to the new Posterous blog. (In other words, two different online 'identities', each with seperate blogs, Twitter accounts etc., all managed through Posterous.)

Trouble is you can't do that with Posterous at the moment, unless you create two seperate Posterous accounts and then make sure that you always post to each one from a different email address. Which is a hassle and it kind of cancels out the simplicity of it all. (But then, maybe not everyone has such diverse interests as me?!)

Then I discovered Twitterfeed. You create an account (using OpenID) and then set up as many different RSS-to-Twitter feeds as you want. You just give it the URL of an RSS feed and the Twitter account you want it to auto-post to (you have to supply your Twitter username and password but a quick Google suggests that its a fairly reputable service), and how frequently you want it to update, and off it goes and does its stuff!

Since I have no need to post via email to Flickr or YouTube or Vimeo or any of the other blogging services supported by Posterous, and because Posterous doesn't allow me to easily differentiate my online identites, Blogger + Twitterfeed is actually the ideal solution for me right now.

So I now have the following setup:

mattots.blogspot.com + twitter.com/mattots
line2nowhere.blogspot.com + twitter.com/line2nowhere

I can post to either blog via email (I just post to a different address for each), and Twitterfeed automatically updates the relevant Twitter account every 30 minutes. Simple.

(Oh yes, and if I just want to post direct to either Twitter account, Twitterfox lets you log into and switch between multiple Twitter accounts, so that's no problem.)

Sorted.

For now at least!

No comments: